Thursday, September 18, 2008

18 Sep 2008

I´m feeling rather pleased with myself because of some successful independent ventures. Yesterday, I saw in an events schedule that there was a mid-day performance at a location with which I wasn´t familiar. I was able to look up the address, figure out what Metro stop I needed, and walk directly to the place I wanted.

Today I had to take my passport to one of those ubiquitous bureaucratic places that exist here and have an ``authenticated copy´´ made. This is part of the application process for the CPF number. (Remember? Think Social Security Number, without the social security.) Then I walked a short way to the Teatro Municipal and purchased a ticket for tonight´s performance of ``Columbo,´´ a symphomic tone poem by the most famous Brasilean composer, Carlos Gomes. When I bought the tickets, I actually thought it was an opera because I thought that was all Gomes wrote. No matter. In fact, I´d probably rather listen to a symphonic celebration of Christopher Columbus than an operatic one. It was written in the 1890s, so I´ll overlook the cultural insensitivity of the topic. Then I walked to another neighborhood box office to purchase tickets for a Saturday night performance. Unfortunately, there was only one ticket left and I needed two.

Continuing one of my earlier themes of cheap prices for cultural events, the ticket for tonight, which is in a perfect location, cost only R$20.00. That is half price because of my advanced age.

I have to learn more about the organization called SESC. That is surely an acronym, but I don´t know for what. These are what I will call community centers located throughout São Paulo. They are in other Brasilean cities as well, but I don´t know in how many. In São Paulo, there are 14 of them. When I say community center, you may picture some odd little store that has been converted into a makeshift operation of minimal comfort and convenience. In reality, these are huge structures that have clearly been designed specifically for their existing purpose. I´ve been in 4 of them so far, and wouldn´t think any were more than 10 years old. The one in my neighborhood has 8 floors and, Heitor´s sister informed me, is one of the smaller ones. It has a swimming pool and gymnasium, a large computer room, one or more performance centers, a floor entirely for musicians to use for private practice (I saw six or more beautiful, highly polished bass viols available for use), a reading room, a restaurant, and I don´t know what else. At least some of the services are available to the public at large, perhaps all of them, at a minimal charge. If you are a member, the charge is even less or the service is free. Membership, I believe, costs about R$68.00/year. I assumed SESC was some sort of governmental entity, but Heitor says he thinks not. I have to admit there isn´t anything in their flier to suggest government involvement. At any rate, I like these places, and intend to become a member, but I´ve seen the application form and am going to wait until either Sueli or Heitor can help me with it.

Tomorrow I´m going to meet with Fatima, the only person who responded to the ad I placed suggesting we trade English lessons for Português. Ahh, maybe she can help with the SESC application.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting on a bench next to an old guy reminds me of late 60s or early 70s Laugh In. Keep a purse handy! No thanks to the suggestion we open a laundromat in Sao Paolo. A few years ago? Yes. But not anylonger. Why don't you open a laundromat along with Heitor?

Felix Verdun said...

Trading Social Service could be a good translation to SESC? I'm not sure... Yes, they are a NGO. But I'm sure you know all these by now. KnH!

Felix Verdun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.