Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One Caipirinha After Another

For those of my American friends who think life here in paradise is just one continual party, you should know that my morning has consisted of doing the dishes, washing clothes by hand in the laundry sink and listening to a language CD and making a list of the verbs.

How long since you have washed clothes by hand? I think it is very common here. Every apartment and house I´ve been in has a laundry sink. Sure, some might have a washer and dryer, but it is just as frequent that they do not. Somebody want to come here and open a good old-fashioned american laundromat?

As for picking out those verbs, my language process seems Sisyphean at times. Sometimes I despair of ever learning this language, and sometimes I can see the progress I´m making. In any case, I continue with the effort. Yesterday i went to the park hoping to find some talkative old guy on a bench, but I wasn´t successful. Will give it another try this afternoon.

Stay in touch!

1 comment:

Felix Verdun said...

"esterday i went to the park hoping to find some talkative old guy on a bench", LOL! You were trying to find some lunatic talking to the pigeons? :-)