Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Nation of Asses...but not Fat Asses

A few miscellaneous scribblings which, I hope, might get me back into the habit of maintaining this thing.

I went to a McDonalds a couple of weeks ago for the first time since I started coming to Brasil in November 2005. Most everything seemed like the McDonalds in the states, or at least as I think they are. One difference was that there was no drive thru. Another was that it was raining and one of the window seals was leaking water into the, shall we say, dining area. Of course window seals can leak anywhere, but I chose to interpret this as evidence of shoddy Brasilean construction. Another big difference was that all(!) of the kids working there were skinny. I think of McDonalds as a symbolic cause of the U.S. obesity problem, and here there wasn´t any body fat on the whole crew. I mentioned this to my tutor and he got reflective for a few seconds and then said he thought that was true for all the McDonalds that he knew of. I wonder if McDonalds is trying to send a subtle message to Brasileans: "Don´t believe everything you read. You don´t have to worry about becoming a nation of fat asses."

And speaking of Brasileans and asses, it needs to be said that this country has a disproportionate number of great looking, well-defined asses nicely packed into tight blue jeans. Google Brazilean Butt Lift if you want to know about a certain plastic surgery procedure. Perhaps everyone but me already knows about this procedure. I only learned of it when reading one of Jay Leno´s monlogues on line. I don´t remember the joke, but the punch line was Tummy Tucks and Brazilean Butt Lifts.

Maybe I´ll just end on that note.

Tchau por agora.

No comments: