Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pizza in Rio

All the things one could say about Rio and I'm going to talk about pizza!

I remember Heitor telling me last year when we were here never to eat pizza in Rio, because it is the worst imaginable. I set that down to some kind of twisted city pride, the way there are probably people in New York and Chicago who will never agree on what pizza should be like. After all, I thought, pizza in São Paulo isn´t such great shakes either.

Well, this year we have been forced by circumstances to eat pizza in Rio on two different occasions at two different restaurants, the most recent being earlier tonight, so the experience is fresh in my mind.

Here is the problem: they don´t use any tomato sauce and, unless you order a cheese pizza, not very much cheese either. You are left with a thin crust, my preferred style of crust at least, with the ingredients of your choice piled on, and that´s about it. You get an inkling that something is different when the waiter brings ketchup and mustard to your table along with the plates, while you´re waiting for your order.

More about Rio later. We arrived a week and ago and will be here for another 9 days or so. Seeing lots of movies. Haven´t been to Copacabana, Ipanema or any of the other beaches except to ride by in a bus on the way back from a movie last Sunday.

Rio is apparently, along with Chicago, one of the two strongest contenders for the 2016 Olympics. It is hard for me to believe that any city really wants the Olympics, and it is equally hard for me to think they would actually be awarded to Rio. As I said, more on that later, as I´m tired. Also, Heitor is just getting back from the last movie of the day and needs to do some writing.

Tchau.

1 comment:

Alexandre said...

Credo, haha... É... Já me falaram pra nunca comer pizza carioca também... rs