Sunday, July 15, 2012

Having Fun on the Job

For some reason I can no longer remember, but continuing the theme of having fun at work, I was thinking recently of how much I used to enjoy the punning headlines in the Minneapolis Star Tribune when I lived there in the 1980s and 1990s.  I decided to see if they still do it.  Actually, I don't know if these are puns per se, but they are at least clever and make you groan in the way puns do.

"Oakland batters Duensing, Twins.
"To Boost Tourism, Cities Want to Make Lake Minnetonka Liquid Asset."
"New Force in Anti-Bullying Joins Front Line in Anoka-Hennepin."


The LA Times is pretty good sometimes too:
"A New Dawn for Sunset Boulevard."
"Abuzz About Bee Keeping in Los Angeles"
(with a subtitle of "Give Bees a Chance")

And even the very proper NY Times couldn't resist this one:
At Comic-Con, You Can't Defy Gravitas



2 comments:

Felix Verdun said...

some are really hard to a BR guy understand...

Gerald Martin said...

Felipe - I understand that. Heitor needed help with each of them. I could explain them to you here, but it might take too long. I'd rather do it in person. Beijos