Monday, December 24, 2012

Not So Sweet Mystery of Life in Brasil

One of the mysteries of Brasil for me has to do with firecrackers. Loud explosions are the way everything is celebrated here. Your favorite team just scored a goal? Set off a 30-second string of firecrackers. You just had a shot of cachaça? The light turned green? Blow something up.  The virgin Mary just went into labor? It's Monday? A little more noise seems appropriate. You happen to be across the street from a hospital? Who gives a shit?

The sound of mini bombs going off  is so ubiquitous that our two cats, who used to run and hide, don´t even move anymore. And please remember the way in which the concrete canyons of a city can exaggerate the sound effects.

Okay, the mystery I mentioned. To the best of my knowledge, I have never in four years been in a store where I saw fireworks or firecrackers for sale. I've asked Heitor where people purchase these things and he says he has no idea; he's never bought firecrackers in his life. Needless to say, he is my kind of Brazilian.

Any other Brasileiros know? And, yes, if you're reading this, you are also my kind of Brazilian.

2 comments:

Felix Verdun said...

I don't know how it's called in English, but "rojões" (rockets?) are bought in some supermarkets (specially close to holidays). You can buy "rojões" on liquor stores too, or butchers (yes, barbecue and firecraker go together in Brazil).
The "bombinhas" (the one you blow on earth) is harder to find, I don't even know if they're legal.(there are shops that sell only firecrackers, but don't ask me where, because some of them are not legal) :)

Gerald Martin said...

Felipe - The next time I go to the açoque, I can buy fireworks too? That is funny. Maybe I just need to ask.

But, see? Even a brasileiro like you doesn´t know where to buy bombinhas. It makes me feel better.