Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It is more interesting to me, at least.

As I said in the header, I want to change this space. At least I think it will be more interesting to me.

For one thing, I have now posted links to some of the blogs I have been reading irregularly for the past few months, and to which I want to pay a bit more attention. Since I know I have more time than many of you, especially if you´re still a poor working stiff, I may occasionally point out certain things which I think are particularly noteworthy. For instance, I encourage you to go the Andrew Sullivan blog and go down (quite a ways) until you come to his post about the Iranian movie "Ten." It just might send you to Netflix to see if it´s available. I don´t have to do that, because Heitor owns the film. :-) In general, I think Brasileans who are interested in film, have a much broader knowledge than their counterparts in the US, which makes sense because they don´t have so many national films of their own to command their attention.

Is this a bit absurd or what....sitting here in São Paulo watching the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on the Sotomayor nomination (streamed live at the NY Times website) and seeing Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, Jr twang his concerns lest Judge Sotomayor be biased and unfair in her approach to the business of judging, lest her sensitivity and awareness of her life experiences as a latino woman precludes her ability to be as "objective" as any other judge.

But according to Michelle Malkin (see how open-minded I am?) Senator Kennedy "attempted to paint Alito as hostile to women, while maintaining a membership at a club that bans women from membership." The whole process always seems like the old west requirement to "give him a fair trial and then hang him." Everyone knows that Sotomayor is going to be confirmed, just like we knew that about Roberts and Alito, but we need to let the other side do their best to make some points, if not change some minds. Roberts and Alito turned out to be the kinds of judges the Democrats predicted. I only hope that Sotomayor fulfills the worst fears of the Republicans.

Next time....how many holidays to Brasileans actually get in a year? Spoiler alert: a lot!

No comments: