Monday, July 6, 2009

Why I Have So Many Freaking Colds

Sometimes I am so slow on the uptake that it´s mind boggling. I am currently dealing with the probable onset of a new head cold before I´ve really even recovered from the last one. I have all the usual symptoms, which for me are a sore throat and sneezing. That is more information than is necessary for my purposes here, but maybe I just want a little sympathy, ok?

Every time I´ve had a new cold down here, I´ve wondered what the hell is going on. I never had very many colds in the US, so why so many here, in what is supposed to be a tropical freaking paradise?

Well, today the lightbulb finally lit up on my way home from meeting my Português tutor. The answer, of course, is the subway and the buses. Almost every day I am confined with dozens of other people and get to share all of their delightful germs...the downside to ogling all of their delightful bodies. Finally, I´ve found a rationale for the suburban car culture that defines the US. That particular way of life may be contributing to global warming and to wars for access to oil, but at least it is limiting individual access to the germs that spread the common cold.

What I sacrifice every day for the common good!!

No comments: