Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Taliban Run the University


Here is a follow up to the post about "The Taliban in the University." It is being reported in today´s paper that the student who was harassed and abused....has been expelled. That´s right, the victim has been punished.

According to the newspaper, the university´s announcement said that the investigating board concluded that there was "flagrent disprect to ethical principles, to the dignity of the university and to morality" on the part of the victim. University spokesmen say the woman was being deliberately provocative.

The lawyer for the woman, if I am reading the paper properly, says he is "perplexed" and "stunned" and is looking into ways of contesting the university´s decision. He is talking about a "defense strategy." Granted there are probably cultural differences too subtle for my understanding, but to me this cries out now for an offensive strategy. I´d want my lawyer telling the university "we´ll see your motherfucking ass in court." This woman should have human rights lawyers falling all over themselves to take her case. Hopefully that will happen.

By the way, the young woman is quoted as saying "I haven´t received confirmation of anything as of yet, except through the media. It is a lack of respect. I don´t believe this is happening." She continues, "I was the victim. How is it possible to be expelled? The victim is expelled from the university? That is absurd." It is hard to argue with her.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/educacao/ult305u649355.shtml

I wish I had a better understanding of the Brazilian culture. This seems like a good cause with which to get involved.

Thanks again to Alexandre for not letting me miss this latest development in the story.

No comments: