Friday, November 23, 2012

Brasil Is a Land of Many Rules

I am going to have my annual checkup on Monday morning. Here are the rules for preparation in the order in which they are printed:

No alcohol for 72 hours
No ejaculations for 48 hours
No bicycle riding for 48 hours (stationary or otherwise)
No riding on a motorcycle for 48 hours
No horseback riding for 48 hours
No use of suppositories for 72 hours
No urethral probes or digital rectal exams for 72 hours
No cystoscopy for the last 5 days
No transrectal ultrasounds in the last 7 days (not sure of that translation)
No colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy in the last 15 days
No urodynamic exams (again with the translation) in the last 21 days
No prostate biopsies in the last 30 days
No urination for 2 hours

Along with the usual fasting.

Now I definitely don´t want to cross over that line of too much information, but I will just say I have no intention of following all of these rules.

Here is the amazing part. Along with all of the normal bloodwork, and a few tests I don´t recognize, this exam will involve a full abdominal and prostate ultrasound, as well as an electrocardiogram.

It will cost me a little less than $150. This is not through the public health system, but with Brazilian insurance that Heitor and I recently purchased. It will cost me another $30 to meet with the doctor to discuss the results.

4 comments:

Bob Peterson said...

I'll bet you went horseback riding 49 hours ahead, didn't you, you crazy, crazy guy?

How was it? Sounds quite thorough, and for $150. Sort of interesting that you will need to pay a small amount more to get the results. Wonder how many go through all of that and decide not to acquire the results?

Gerald Martin said...

I was able to make the appointment for the exams without a doctor´s "prescription" and I paid for the exams up front.

If I want to discuss the results with my doctor, I have to make a separate appointment and pay him for the office call.

This is the first time I have been to this particular lab, and I haven´t seen the format they use for the results. Other labs that I have been to show the optimum range for all of the various exams, and one could opt to not even talk with a doctor if everything is in the acceptable range.

I need to see the doctor anyway, because everyone who uses the gym I do needs an annual permission slip from a doctor.

Bob Peterson said...

That actually makes sense, to have the ability to schedule and undergo tests without a prescription. I don't think I could go into a MRI lab, for instance, and ask to have one performed.

As far as blood work, I understand the min-max formula you reference.

Here, the doctors are so afraid of everything, particularly a lawsuit, that they order tests that may not be necessary to CYA.

Gerald Martin said...

I couldn't order an MRI for myself either.

The health plan that Heitor and I subscribe to is somewhat similar to an HMO. All I needed to do to schedule the physical exam was contact someone at the "HMO". Probably I can only do that once a year.

Prior to joining this health plan, when I was just using the public plan, I needed a doctor's prescription for tests.