Tuesday, August 20, 2013

He Had Way With Words

Apropos of nothing more than the fact that The Nation has a new ebook available with 12 of Kurt Vonnegut´s contributions over the years, and the fact that I agree with his opinions about America´s wars of choice, here are some Vonnegut quotes:
By saying that our leaders are power-drunk chimpanzees, am I in danger of wrecking the morale of our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East? Their morale, like so many bodies, is already shot to pieces. They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas.
The only difference between Hitler and Bush is that Hitler was elected.
I myself feel that our country, for whose Constitution I fought in a just war, might as well have been invaded by Martians and body snatchers. Sometimes I wish it had been. What has happened, though, is that it has been taken over by means of the sleaziest, low-comedy, Keystone Cops-style coup d'etat imaginable. And those now in charge of the federal government are upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka 'Christians,' and plus, most frighteningly, psychopathic personalities, or 'PPs
When asked how he was doing at the start of a 2003 interview, he replied: 
I'm mad about being old and I'm mad about being American. Apart from that, OK.
With regard to the 2004 Bush-Kerry contest:
No matter which one wins, we will have a Skull and Bones President at a time when entire vertebrate species, because of how we have poisoned the topsoil, the waters and the atmosphere, are becoming, hey presto, nothing but skulls and bones.

1 comment:

Bob Peterson said...

Wonder what he would say if he had lived to see the current group in DC?