Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kristof's Mothers Day Column

There really are people in the world who are dedicating their lives to improve the lives of others.  And, much as I hate to admit it, some of them are even missionaries. 

Most of them go unnoticed I'm sure, but if anyone is going to use his pulpit to call attention to the selfless people volunteering their time and skills around the world, it is Nicholas Kristof.  He is also one of the few Americans who pays any attention at all to what is going on in Africa. And he pays a lot of attention, by the way.

Here is another great column by Kristof.  The subect, obstetric fistulas, is gruesome even to read about, which makes the work of these dedicated people even more awesome, because they're doing more than reading about it.
 
“People in America can’t believe I left urology to do this, but this is about changing lives,” which is better than “listening to men tell me about the quality of their erections,” he said. “I’ve had my family held at gunpoint, I’ve had malaria, I’ve had a serious exposure to H.I.V., I’ve been separated from family, and I’ve spent about a million hours crammed into coach class on airlines, but it’s worth it. I’d much rather live a meaningful life than a comfortable one.”

No comments: