Sunday, March 31, 2013

Can I Get A Little Sympathy Here?

A couple of days ago I was moved to clean house. Yes, that does happen every so often. (Quentin Crisp once wrote that he never cleaned house because, after four years, the dust never gets any higher.)

It occurred to me while I was in the process of cleaning that, if I were on disability or workman's comp because of the herniated disc in my back, and if any insurance company goons were hiding with cameras to capture what I was doing, I'd probably have to fight like hell to keep my benefits. The fact is that I made a conscious decision to work through the pain and do what needed to be done, knowing full well that I would pay for it later.

I know I've read stories about people losing their benefits because they were photographed washing their car in the driveway or pulling weeds in their garden on their hands and knees. I sympathize, because I now know one can work through pain for a limited time to accomplish a specific object, and that doesn't equate with the ability to work an 8-hour job.

2 comments:

Bob Peterson said...

Well, ummmm, sympathy "No," but some empathy, perhaps.

Anyone who has had back pain, and I think that applies to much of the human race, knows how consuming that pain can be. Then, to make it constant, persistent, chronic--whatever the inadequate description--it has to be awful.

I have a friend who had a hip replaced and claims that the pain from that covered up so many other pains that have surfaced since the surgery that cured the hip pain. Sounds kinda dangerous, actually, that the brain, in dealing with the "elephant" doesn't recognize other danger signs.

Does your pain severely limit your activities? Or is it just (that isn't a very good word) a constant companion?

Gerald Martin said...

I wonder if there is physiological evidence that the brain truly does that. It sounds plausible, and I'm sure it's real to your friend, but you know how I just love anecdotal evidence.

The pain does limit my activities. Severely limit? I need to think about that. I mean, I do get to spend more time on the couch, so it can't be all bad.