Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Toxoplasmosis and Free Will

While reading one of those science books (The Violinist's Thumb)  that is mostly far above my level of comprehension, I stumbled across an interesting fact about the parasitic microbe Toxoplasmosis. As you may know this is a microbe that infects about 1/3 of the human population and countless other animals, but whose primary hosts are cats. It is because of this microbe that pregnant women and people with AIDS are advised against handling cat litter. But, as I said, about 1/3 of the human population in the world already carries it, and it is quite benign in most cases.

One of the things that is know about this microbe is that it affects the production of dopamine in the brain. Mice and rats who harbor this parasite in their systems are actually attracted to the smell of cat urine, thereby increasing their risk of being killed and eaten by a cat. Why is this?  Somehow (the author says, "don't ask") this parasite is able to reproduce sexually only in the stomach of a feline. As I understand it, it can reproduce asexually in other environments, but it is predisposed to prefer the sexual method. So this parasite actually drives mice and rats to self-destructive behavior to satisfy its interest in sexual reproduction.

It is speculated that, through its effect on the production of dopamine, it has some interesting effects on humans as well.  For one thing, the predilection to like cats may be "controlled" by this parasite. The crazy cat woman in town may just have a serious case of Toxoplasmosis. Another apparently know effect on infected humans is a diminution of the sense of smell. Let it be known that I can't smell a damn thing. Heitor reacts to the kitchen smells with all the excitement a cook could want, but I don't know what he's talking about.

Please don't shun me because I'm a carrier.

2 comments:

Bob Peterson said...

Glad to hear your case is benign. When I read the headline, my first reaction involved a woman I knew who had lost a good amount of her vision due to histoplasmosis. After further reading, much relieved yours is the "toxo" version. Actually, very different stuff.

Gerald Martin said...

My "case" is self-diagnosed, and deserves the quotation marks. But, if 1/3 of the human population is hosting this parasite, I'm a likely candidate.

I do miss my sense of smell, at least in the kitchen and in the presence of good food. There are other situations in which it is a blessing.

Since smell affects taste, haute cuisine and the best wines are largely wasted on me...which at least meshes nicely with my bank account.