Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Yet Another Post About Citrus


I promise it will be a long, long time before I post another item about citrus. (But never say never.)

The two oranges on the right are typical of what I see everywhere in Brasil. They are called Laranja Pera (Who knows why? Pera means Pear.)

Yesterday our local market, the one that stocks grapefruit, also had the type on the left, which seems to be the same kind of orange grown in southern California. They were marked as imported, but Idon´t know from where. Since the name is Laranja Bahia, and since Bahia is a state in Brasil, it seems odd that they really would be imported. I have commented before on the fact that Brasil frequently doesn't feel like a united country; I have to wonder if they are "imported" from Bahia. Like New York imports from California.

Brazilian friends, help me with this. Would Pão de Açúcar call oranges from Bahia imported?

I wanted to be able to say that the Laranha Bahia was much sweeter, but I can´t. It seemed about the same as the Pera. And, if anything, the Bahia seemed less juicy.

I know some of you are interested in prices here. The two Pera oranges together cost R$0.87 (about 50 cents); the one Bahia cost R$1.31 (75 cents). What does an orange cost in the US? I have no idea.

No comments: