Sunday, April 22, 2012

Excuse Me, How Much Insurance Do You Carry?

I wrote a couple of years ago about my positive experiences with my Brazilian dentist.  A root canal on a problem tooth that involved I don't know how many visits cost me about the equivalent of US$300-400.

Well, that problem tooth finally broke and had to be extracted a couple of days ago.  Total cost for the extraction and sutures was about US$54.00.

I'm not sure why dentistry is so inexpensive here, although to be fair, I've only had experiences with this one dentist (why would I change?), and it is possible he just likes Heitor and me.  His sister used to be Heitor's boss, which is how I found him in the first place when a toothache demanded it not be ignored.

He has an office, with a receptionist and what would appear to be the normal dental office accoutrements, although he doesn't have the overhead of a dental assistant.  The only significant difference that I can imagine between the US and here is the cost of malpractice insurance.  Brazil is not a very litigious country; next time I see him, I will ask if he has insurance.  Probably, coming from an American, that question will scare the bejesus out of him.

No comments: