Monday, April 23, 2012

Psst, Kid, Wanna Have A Good Time?























Reverting to an old theme of differences between Brasil and the U.S., here are a couple of examples from our neighborhood in São Paulo of a type of business I'm not familiar with in the U.S.  They are little kiddie party palaces.

It should be no surprise that  middle-class Brazilians romanticize their kids and pets as much as anyone else, and when little Bruno or Paula have a birthday, they want a party.  But nobody except the very wealthy has a house big enough to host hordes of kids.  Most people live in high-rise apartment buildings and, even the people with houses, do not have back yards for the kind of rent-a-party events that are available in the U.S. So you have your party in one of these spaces.

With any luck I'll never be inside one, so I can't tell you what fun options are available or shoot interior photos.

2 comments:

Bob Peterson said...

Gerry, I just want to again comment on the cartoons. They are hilarious.

In the US, all you have are the Chuck'E'Cheese types, I think for the kids parties. I once sold a company for a lady who did the backyard parties you mention, and made a very nice living renting blow-up toys...no, not that kind!!

Gerald Martin said...

Bob - I'm glad you're liking the cartoons. I think they have all been from The New Yorker so far.

I forgot about Chuck E. Cheese, probably because I managed to always avoid them.

Good thing you explained about the blow-up toys.