Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Brazil’s Culture Group Shares the Wealth

I've written about SESC at couple of times before, most recently on Jan.3 but, guess what, this story from today's  NY Times is more informative. It also corrects an error of mine; I said that SESC was financed by a 2% payroll tax, when it is really 1.5%.

Heitor tells me the São Paulo cultural community is all abuzz today about this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/arts/brazils-leading-arts-financing-group-shares-the-wealth.html?hp

I found these on the steps of SESC today. They weren´t there on Thursday. The sign says "artwork in maintenance." I do hope this is the whole piece. If there is a horse on these legs tomorrow, I´m going to be disappointed.


1 comment:

Bob Peterson said...

The public art and the funding of it is terrific. I think I have told you how much we miss public art in Portland. In KC, there is so much. We were actually surprised and dismayed by the lack in Portland because it is such an "artsy" place.

We have been back in KC for four days, and it is really nice. Spring, sunshine.

Your observation about the horse sculpture is absolutely on target. If there is more when you return, it will be disappointing. I like it.

Sort of like Genoa, an abundance of public art, galleries, concerts.

Life is good.